Insufficient students in 120 Engineering Colleges of Rajasthan Technical University
Engineering colleges affiliated under the Rajasthan Technical University (RTU) are suffering from a low number of students seeking admission to these colleges. The figures are so meagre that it is almost astonishing.
- It has been found out that in the previous year, where there are about 55 thousand seats available under Rajasthan Technical University; admission was availed for only 25 thousand seats.
- Out of this alarming number too, Rajasthan Technical University has cancelled admission on 4 thousand seats.
- In this number, students had applied to pursue the courses for Bachelors in Technology (B.Tech) and Polytechnic.
- Admissions for these were made last year by Board of Technical Education.
- After the receipt of applications by students, the applications were scrutinized and a lot of applications failed to meet the required eligibility criteria. Due to this, the examination committee cancelled the admissions of certain students.
- Students whose applications have been rejected and admission to them has not been granted will soon receive a notice from the respective college.
Reasons for cancellation of admission:
A lot of reasons have been revealed for the cancellation and rejection of applications of the students. Some of them were:
- Numerous students did not fill up the enrollment form.
- A lot of students willingly left from the college.
- A lot of students got their admission cancelled due to a change in the branch of their courses they wished to pursue.
- Some students failed to meet the eligibility criteria set by colleges as a parameter for judgment.
- A lot many students failed to submit their original documents as is required at the time of admission by the colleges.
Admission granted irrespective of failure to meet the eligibility:
It has been alarming to be acquainted that out of the students whose admission had been cancelled, some students are so whose eligibility criteria did not match but their admission has been cancelled only after the first semester of the course has passed which is goes on for a period of 8 months.
Why was the admission granted?
- On discussion with the officials of the Rajasthan Technical University, it has been said by them that they played no role in the admission process of the students.
- Board and colleges in haste directly enrolled students and provided them with an admission.
- After this, the students took the examinations of their first semester in the month of January.
- For the examinations, students were allowed to sit on provisional basis without any document verification.
- After the happening of all this, when Rajasthan Technical University checked the eligibility criteria of the students, it was revealed that in the first place the students had failed to meet this criteria.
- Students were asked to leave the colleges.
Now the question that arises is that why were the documents and eligibility criteria for students fit for a course they were applying for was not scrutinized at the initial level. It is debated as to where will the students seek admission again and what will the future be for these students after the passing away of 5 months for a semester.
- Rajasthan Technical University’s (RTU) officials have expressed that students are provided with a period of 45 days to submit their documents.
- After the passing away of the final date for document submission, an extended period of 15 days was also provided to the students, but students failed to submit their documents after this too. Due to this, the admission was cancelled for them.
The data of students was received by the Board of Technical Education by the month of December. After this, the students were allowed to sit for the examinations of the first semester on provisional basis. But, when the students failed to submit their documents after a long period of two months, the committee had to cancel their admission procedure.
-S.P. Yadav, Assistant Registrar, Rajasthan Technical University
Quick summary and student data:
- 55000 seats were available for admission in 120 colleges of Rajasthan Technical University
- Admission took place for 25000 seats
- 22500 students took admission in the (Bachelors of Technology ) B.Tech course
- Admission of about 3000 students occurred through polytechnic in the second year of engineering.