Missile Technology Control Regime and its members have agreed to incorporate India as a country in their partnership. This has been successful due to the visit of the Prime Minister of the country, Mr. Narendra Modi to the United States of America, dated June 7, 2016
It has been revealed that fellow countries which raised an objection to the inclusion of India in the Missile Technology Control Regime had been given June 6, 2016 as a time limit for putting forward their opinions.
Missile Technology Control Regime - Profile
Missile Technology Control Regime - Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) is an informal and voluntary partnership among 35 countries to prevent the proliferation of ballistic missiles and unmanned aerial vehicle technology, the technology of which may be used in chemical, organic and nuclear attacks. It was established in the year 1987.
The inclusion of India in the Missile Technology Control Regime gives India the privilege to advanced technology and its development. It is anticipated that India and America will be in discussion for the sale of drone aircrafts for the Indian army.
Nuclear reactors in the country:
American company ‘Westinghouse Electric’ will implant 6 nuclear reactors in India.
Formal meet and discussions:
- Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi met and was greeted by Mr. Barack Obama, President of the United States of America and was in talks for strengthening the manpower and resources of both the countries.
- Modi expressed that he is thankful to Mr. Obama and plans to meet him in the G-20 summit. He is also thankful to Mr. Obama for his support in Missile Technology Control Regime and Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG). America has shown immense support towards India for the inclusion of the latter into Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- Obama was quoted saying that he along with Mr. Modi had talks on regional security and both of them are keen to work and discuss matters of cyber security.
Place of meeting:
The meeting and conversations between the President of USA and the Prime Minister of India took place in the ‘Oval Office’.
Meeting the Parliament in USA:
- Modi who is on tour of the United States of America is set to address the Parliament there on June 8, 2016 in the presence of Mr. Barack Obama and other ministers. Mr. Modi is set to deliver a speech and talk on the positive and strong relationship between both the countries.
- Modi also met the ‘Think Tank’ after which he attended a cultural event.
Visiting ‘Tomb of the Unknowns’:
- Narendra Modi visited the ‘Tomb of the Unknowns’ and paid his homage and respect to Ms. Kalpana Chawla, who lost her life in the Columbia Shuttle accident. Ms. Chawla was a space astronaut of Indian origin.
- Jean Pierre, husband of Ms. Chawla gifted a set of books along with the biography which he himself wrote in remembrance of his wife Ms. Chawla to Mr. Modi.
- Modi also met the space astronaut Ms. Sunita Williams and her father, and conversed in the Gujarati language to with the latter and invited him for a visit to India.